my infant poops on the potty: a series

by kacia on 17 May ’12 · 6 comments

or well, you could title this post a whole heck of a lot of things.

I have had a lot of people ask about Harlow using the toilet from 3 months of age, on.  For some reason, or reasons, I’ve hesitated doing any posts on this topic.

1. I’m not an expert. It has simply worked for our family.
  2. I’m no better a mom for it nor is my daughter is smarter than other babies: I don’t think that + I don’t want to portray that.
  3. I don’t want ugly conversation.  Especially over something as silly as this topic.

But, people have asked, so I’m going there.  Elimination Communication has been so incredible for our family + I want to answer your questions.  I’ll be writing about our experience, resources, what I’ve learned, etc.  So I guess the length of this series will be dictated a lot by the questions that y’all have!

With a psychology background + my constant need to know “why” got the best of me + I ended up reading every parenting-type book possible.  That was a huge mistake, but a post for another time.

So in the next installment in this series of potty humor ….or, as it’s officially called : Elimination Communication, I will explain about how we got started + how it went.  I’ll get into books, tips, thoughts, interviews with MDs + others who have done “EC” with their children + anything else you want to hear!

The video below is the very first time I put baby girl on the toilet.  I sat behind her, as you can see + I’ll explain more about that later.  Needless to say, I’m a dork + was pretty excited when she went successfully! So I [duh!] sent this video to the family.  She was 3 months + 3 days old.

Um….is she not the cutest!?!?! + please.  please ignore me.  Yes, breast milk poo smells weird.  + yes, my voice is so lame on video!

Well! I’m excited about this series! Leave any questions you might have in the comments below or email me!

I’ll try to refrain from terlit jokes.  Promise.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Katie May 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

woe. as someone who is about to potty train and almost 3 year old, this is super interesting to me! I didn’t know you did EC! I am all kinds of intrigued!

kacia May 17, 2012 at 10:46 am

it’s crazy + awesome all at the same time! It’ll DEFINITELY be interesting to see if I’m able to do EC when the next kids come along!!!

Beth @ Me as a Mommy May 17, 2012 at 11:11 am

I can’t wait to read about this!!! My son was crazy easy to potty train so I kinda assumed my daughter would be a disaster. And then…. like they always do, she proved me wrong. Last week (at 15 months) she started telling us she needs to go and actually using the potty. It’s not 100% of the time… shoot, it’s not 50% of the time… but for having done no training with her at all I’m wildly impressed! It makes me wonder if I should’ve done EC with her a long time ago! Can’t wait to read about your experiences!

Rebecca Haan May 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm

This is so cool! I've started and stopped over and over…how do you stay consistent with it? Also, I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy…I've always thought Mara's poo smelled like buttered popcorn too, lol.

liz May 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Cool! I’m so glad you’re sharing about this – I’ve heard of this method before and have been so interested but I feel like people just laugh at me whenever I bring it up as a possibility!! I have not done any or my own research or anything, so I’m excited to see how it’s gone for you.

Alice Hwang Wightman May 18, 2012 at 1:04 am

I think it's pretty freaking amazing that you do this. when I have a baby, whenever that is, I'll be calling you for support! :) I can't wait to read more from this series!