#SheReadsTruth

by kacia on 20 May ’12 · 61 comments

For those of you who follow me on twitter or instagr.am, you might be wondering what. the. heck. is #SheReadsTruth

Well.  I’m going to tell you.  + I’m going to tell you a story.

I’m also going to invite you to join.

A few days ago, maybe last week? my friend Maggie tweeted something about getting back into reading the Bible daily.  Where should she start?  I replied to her + told her to text me + we should read something together.

So we texted.  + tried to figure out what to read.  Should we go through a devotional together? Talk on the phone about it each day?  Should we go through Paul’s letters?  Should we just pick books of the Bible, journal each day + share our thoughts?  Should we email? Text? Call?

So many options.

I happen to see my pastor post about the Soul Detox reading plan on the YouVersion app.

I looked at the plan.

I texted Maggie.

I said “let’s do this.”

+ she said “yes! Let’s.”

[sun goes down.  sun goes up.]

The next morning, Maggie sends out a tweet.

+ because she’s awesome, people started wondering what we were reading.  + people kept asking.

So we kept telling people: join! Find the Soul Detox reading plan on the YouVersion app.  Read along with us!

But what’s the point of community if we can’t learn from one another?

I texted Maggie again.  <– poor thing! ;o]

I told her we needed a hashtag.  Something to use that we could click + find everyone else reading the SAME scripture that day.  We could learn from one another.  We should share what He’s teaching us.  We could ask for prayer.  We could see first hand the power of His word in our new community as we read His word daily.  For many of us it was getting back into a habit we had somehow lost.

It was making our time with Him a priority.

So we had a lot of ideas.  Most of them were okay.  We’re big dorks, well, Maggie’s not…I am! So my ideas were sort of lame.

I’d show you our text conversation, but I don’t want to embarrass myself + my dumb ideas.

But as Harlow + I went for a walk, one came to me.

#SheReadsTruth

It’s what we’re doing.  We are women reading His truth together.  + truth is what we need to cling to.

I sent it to Maggie.

She agreed: #SheReadsTruth captured this small, growing community perfectly.

I emailed a few others.  + we started sharing what we were learning using this tag.

+ others did too.  Too many people to tag: but let me tell you…. You will be challenged.  You will grow in His word: I promise.

Will you join us?

Today is Day 4.  We’d love for you to read + grow along with us!

All you need to do is download the YouVersion app on your phone.  Or create an account at YouVersion’s website.

Then? Search Soul Detox under the plans.

Start reading! Start sharing. [using instagram and/or twitter]

Let God’s truth change you.

Love,

{ 58 comments… read them below or add one }

Kelly @ Love Well May 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I saw Maggie refer to the Soul Detox plan on Instagram and downloaded it this morning in church. (Which feels really wrong to admit, but I suddenly thought of it when I opened my YouTube Bible on my phone and I promise I was listening to the sermon while the blue line moved.) I’m currently doing a read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year plan on YouTube too – the only New Year’s resolution still standing. I’m excited to join the SheSpeaksTruth community!

One piece of advice: should I catch up to you on Day 4 for the best community results? Or does it not matter if we are reading different things?

kacia May 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm

UGH! I really need to read through the Bible – I’m so embarrassed to say that I’ve started + stopped … too many times. :(

+ I believe you :) We women can multitask: DUH!!

I would catch up! If you can! It’s probably not a big deal to be a few days behind, but since we’re on day 4 – I’d do 1-4 today! And then you can go back and really study + pray over them again! The actually “reading” portion is really short!

I’m SO happy you’re on board!!!

xoxo

Becky May 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I want to get in on this too! I saw a bunch of #Shelovestruth on twitter and was wondering about it. I love this idea!

kacia May 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm

YES!! ALL, all! are welcome!!! We’re early in the study – if you can “catch up” to day 4 – that would be awesome!!! xoxoxo

Sarah May 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I found out about #shereadstruth last night while checking Twitter. And I can’t tell you how excited I am for this devotional! You two came up with such a brilliant idea, and I love that you were willing to share it with the rest of us. I joined in, and can’t wait to read everyone else thoughts! This is going to be such an incredible time of encouragement and growth! Thanks again for starting this!! :)

kacia May 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I’m so happy you were perusing twitter last night!! :) SO SO SO happy to have you along!!! We will ALL learn from each other!

Kassie Rew May 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Glad you guys came up with this! I've been failing at getting back into the word and this is so good for me!

kacia May 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I think we’re ALL In the same boat!! Wanting SO badly to get in the word daily, but falling short. The Community makes SUCH a big difference!! So happy to have you on board!

nicole May 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Yes! I actually added it to my plan today on YouVersion! I need to catch up but I’m so excited!!

kacia May 20, 2012 at 3:17 pm

AWESOME!! I’m so happy you’re along for the ride! God is going to teach us all some amazing things!

Mary May 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Started it today. I’m all caught up. It’s an answered prayer right now and loving it! Thanks ladies!

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

SO GREAT!!! God’s timing is SO perfect, eh?

kk @ the mom diggity May 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I love this. I’m so stinking excited to dig into to the word with you ladies. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH FUN WE ARE GOING TO HAVE IN OCTOBER!?!?!?!? Like whoa. So much fun.

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm

uh YEAH. we’re going to be like….chummy… or something more awesome than that.
I’m a big dork. :)

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy May 21, 2012 at 6:52 am

I got my app Saturday morning and got all caught up! I had never heard of the app or the plan and am GRATEFUL!

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Anne: we are SO happy that you are here!! But more so: happy that God’s timing is perfect: duh!

Jordan Marie May 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

Awe. This is such a great idea, and I’m sure your dorkiness is also found in most of us! ;)
Downloading and about to catch up..

<3xojo

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

oh man though: my dorkiness is a new level!! :O) xoxo so happy you’re here!

Aimee May 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Popping over from Instagram to say how excited I am over this! going to try to catch up today!

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I hope you’ll stick around with #SheReadsTruth God is moving!

blair @ wild & precious May 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

checkin’ it out.

y’all rock!

can’t wait to meet you @ #influenceconf but hopefully sooner

(move to nashvegas!)

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I KNOW! We need to GET THERE!!

CANNOT WAIT to meet you!!

Nadine S. May 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’m joining today! Gotta catch up – and I’m stoked! (@nadinewouldsay)

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm

we are so excited that you are learning alongside us!!

Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista May 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm

This is wonderful! And I love hearing the story behind it! Found #shereadstruth through Gussy and happy to start following along as of today! My soul and heart has been refreshed and Lord knows this is exactly what I was needing. Thank you for this. xo

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

AWESOME!!! We couldn’t be happier that you are joining – God has perfect timing!!

Laura May 21, 2012 at 5:10 pm

So excited to join you all! I just downloaded it today and am going to spend this evening catching up!

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

We are so humbled + so excited that you are joining + drawing close to Him!!

Alesha May 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm

This is so cool! I found out on the blog Mary in Married Land. Excited to be joining!
Alesha <3

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm

we are SO SO SO happy you’ve joined the community! it’s ALL about Him.

Amanda [life. edited.] May 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Ok, new friend. I’m in. What better way to get to know my new Influence family, right? And to get to know my own soul. Yikes. :)
See you at #shereadstruth in the morning. Or tonight if I get really motivated. xo

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm

YES! We’re going to be SO CLOSE by the time October rolls around – it’ll be cray crazy. Oh, what a dork I am and how i love to say cray cray. :)

hannah singer May 21, 2012 at 11:12 pm

well, nice to “meet” you!
also, i’ve taken a break from my other reading plan and caught up to join y’all!
i’m super excited, this is timely for me. praise jesus!
already i’m being so nourished through this study.
looking forward to building with all the #shereadstruth crew!
(p.s. i am @wifeysinger on twitter and ig!)
holla. xo

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I’m so happy you’re Here!!! + I’ve been SO SO SO encouraged by your tweets + IG posts!!! You have an amazing heart, Hannah! I’m blessed to have “met” you as well! I know it’s just the beginning :)

Nat May 22, 2012 at 1:07 am

uh-my-God is so good! This is so amazing and exactly what this twitter/blogging community needs. If my heart wasn’t already fluttering from the idea of influence happening and what it is all about but having others encouraging each other daily in God’s truths just about had me in tears all day.So blessed. so so blessed.

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

YAY!!!! I CAN”T WAIT TO MEET YOU AT INFLUENCE!!!! cannot wait. I’m SO happy we’re getting to encourage each other + know each other prior! We’ll be like ‘ole pals when October gets here!

Sarah May 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m in! And going to share about it on the bloggeroo later this week!!!

Mariah May 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I want to join in, but can’t find Youversion for my droid Razr. Is it available for android?

Kacia May 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

Hey Mariah!!! Try searching for just “Bible”! Or also, try going to YouVersion’s website, I think they have pictures of what the android app looks like! Keep me posted + let me know if you still can’t find it!!

Jen Z May 23, 2012 at 2:08 am

Found myself here via twitter! Think I’ll join in, too. A soul detox could be just what I (and evidently so many of us) need right now! :)

kacia May 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm

:) so happy you are here !:)

Corrie Anne May 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm

so awesome. i’m super excited to join.

kacia May 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

we are SO very excited to have you!!! it’s about Him! + we pray you will be encouraged!!

Jon Wiebe May 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm

This is so great ladies! Starting up a community for us men – using #menoftruth
Spread the word to the men in your life!

@jonwiebe

kacia May 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hey Jon!! I just emailed you!! :)

Jon Wiebe May 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm

UPDATE: we are going with #hereadstruth

Sue Sobczak May 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Just found this while blog hopping. Thanks. I just registered for YouVersion and I hope to keep up with it!

kacia May 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm

We are So excited to have you join!! We’re about God changing lives because we are IN HIS WORD! xoxo

Alysa (InspiredRD) May 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I saw this going on on Instagram and wondered what the deal was. So excited to join in! I’ve been doing a daily Beth Moore devotional in the mornings, but only read a few verses at a time. I’m excited to do more journaling with this one.

Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl May 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Just read about this on Peas and Thank You! So glad I found it. I was about to start reading the Purpose Driven life but I think I’ll do this first. :)

jennyv May 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm

This is perfect! I started re-reading (it had been a few years) The Purpose Driven Life on May 1st — but would love to incorporate this too. I’m in!

kacia May 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

yay!! So happy to have you reading His word with us!

Carley May 25, 2012 at 1:32 am

Love to see the truth being shared!!!

Megan May 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

hi! just found your blog and i’m so glad i did! this reading plan is such a great idea, and i love the little community for Him you’ve created. so great to ‘meet’ you :)

Jacquelynn May 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

I just found this post/your blog thru Mama Pea’s… Started the Soul Detox this morning! I am so excited to be a part of the community!

Anna B May 29, 2012 at 11:35 am

I’m a bit late to join, but I LOVE this. I’ve been working to make my time with God a priority, but I keep slipping. And then I stumble across this – God always finds a way to reach me, again and again and again… I’m going to jump in on Day 13 with y’all and work to catch up on what I missed. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha May 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I\’m joining in a bit late too but I\’m really looking forward to taking part. Even if it means a little hard work in order to catch up.
This is what I need right now, I\’ve been lost for a long time and as soon as I read the description of the study, it felt like a lightbulb had lit up in my head! I am in need of guidance and encouragement to remember that He is there and can protect me.
Thank you for doing this.

Kristin P July 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’ve been wanting to dig deeper in to the bible and grow in my relationship with God but I haven’t been sure where to start so I’ve been just waiting and putting it off. This is great. I’m way behind but I will catch up later and start where everyone else is now! Thank you!!