my first fix!

by kacia on 26 Jul ’12 · 30 comments

[I was hoping to have this post up earlier this morning! But when I saw 2am on the clock + I still needed to pack for a week of vacation, my pillow called. Oops! If you’re wondering why I have a problem with hoarding tshirts, check out yesterday’s post!]

I learned a little something yesterday.

Well, a few things, I guess.

I realized that I haven’t gone shopping in a grab-items-I-would-never-maybe-wear-and-try-them-on-just-because-I-can-and-I-have-time-to shopped..since Harlow was born. And while I’m not complaining, I learned today that a girl of any age still has fun playing dress up.  + oh I cannot wait until Harlow is playing dress up + wearing the most ridiculous things.

Yesterday I also learned that I could shop during nap time + actually try stuff on.  Yes.  StitchFix is genius, well, whoever dreamed it up, is a genius!

Then, there was this weird feeling that came over me.  Seven or so years ago I got a tattoo.  [hold the judgement.] I was warned prior to getting it that they’re addicting.  I thought for sure that was bunk.  Then I found myself, while someone was tattooing that permanent skin-sticker on me, thinking + planning what my next tatto would be.  Where it would be.  Can anyone relate?

Well anyway.  Want to know a secret?  I kind of want another fix to arrive from StitchFix…today!  + while my cleaning-during-naptime suffered, this mama had some fun trying on new clothes!  And I can’t wait to show y’all what I’ve decided to keep + what I’ll be sending back!

So, without further ado!

Well, maybe I do have an ado [what does that phrase even mean, anyway?] I took *ahem* a lot of photos.  oops!  So I tried to cull through them + combine them …. but let’s throw this into the why-this-isn’t-a-DIY-tutorial-blog category: y’all, this is not my strong suit!! But I sure had fun playing dress up!

So this arrived. + I was very excited to go shopping during naptime!

A few more AWESOME things about StitchFix!  1. You get a new little goodie with each fix! My first item was this package of post-it notes! HUZZAH! And 2. If you purchase everything in your fix, you get 25% off!  And don’t forget: your $20 styling fee is taken out of anything you purchase!
Remember? free personal shopper + stylist … in the comfort of your own home!

This box was the first thing I pulled out! It was a “Minty Fresh” deal, where I could purchase the top, OPI nail polish + earrings for a discounted price! While the discount was great, the shirt [for me!]….was not.  See below.

EEKS! Yeah. No. Not so much!

But then I saw the next dress… + I hoped it would be as cute on me as I envisioned it!  They nailed it!

I’m planning on keeping this one, what do y’all think??

One thing I was very nervous about was getting items of clothing that I typically wouldn’t even try on … but then trying on them on at home + still having NO IDEA WHAT TO WEAR WITH THEM!

Scary, right?

Well, for each garment, they provide styling tips!  I [clearly] don’t have half of the items they recommend, but it helped me put the whole look together!

While I really do like this dress, it’s just not me!  It’s a little too babydoll-fairy-like for my taste.

What do y’all think??

Okay! This one excites me!! Y’all, I would never typically grab this color off the shelf!! I’m not a kelly-green fan, but my husband sure is!  So he’s a big fan of this top!  It’s sheer, so I wasn’t sure how I felt about having to always wear a tank or something underneath it, but the minute I put it on, I knew it would be a keeper.

Andy saw it, and he agreed!

You can see that our bedroom gets progressively messier + messier + messier as I keep grabbing-all-the-things to try on with each piece!!

Is it weird that I’m totally digging how it falls low in the back?

This one is a win: you agree? or am I crazy!?

Don’t tell Andy, but I tried it on with my favorite cardigan. :o]

Next I pulled out this bright blue skirt!  It was super girly, and I loved it…but didn’t quite love it.

Know what I mean?  Where there is just something meh about it?  I think this skirt on my sister – she’s about 3″ taller than I am – would be great.  I just feel like it cuts my legs off at an awkward spot.

Not planning on keeping this one!  Thoughts?

I haven’t carried any bag or purse other than my diaper bag in so long! I was happy to see my little luggage tag, from my days of traveling each + every week!

The aftermath of dress up time. Don’t worry: I cleaned it all up!  [And of course I took all of 2 photos on the DSLR….yay for self portraits with an iPhone!]

So what do y’all think!?  I’m really excited about the green top: it’s definitely not something I would normally pick out!  When I tried on everything for Andy, he said [with a smile on his face] I haven’t seen you getting dressed up like this in a while.  la sigh.  I’m excited to start dressing like I care again!

Also?  amazing how much more productive I am when I *cough cough* shower, put on make up and do my hair!  Oh, and possibly change out of yoga clothes.  *looks down at yoga pants bashfully* oops!

Remember you can go sign up for a fix of your own!  Shipping is free both ways, and the questionnaire is fun to fill out! I’ll definitely be changing a few of my answers: I played it safe, and I’m excited to define a few areas, but also let my shopper [Thanks Mary!] have a bit more fun next time!

If you get a fix, PLEASE email/leave a comment if you post about it!! I want to see the goods!

Edited to Add: As part of your style questionnaire that you will fill out for your fix [you can update + change for each fix!! And you can just get 1 fix! there is no monthly subscription or commitment!] – you will answer price questions! How much would you pay/normally pay for outerwear, jeans, dress, skirt, etc.  Just an FYI! :O] + another reason by StitchFix is so great!

Edited again to add: there is also a comments section in the questionnaire! say what you’re thinking! What’s your highest price point?  What do you for sure NOT want.  The more you tell them about what you want/afford/like/hate, the better your fix will be!

I can’t wait to hear about y’all’s fixes from StitchFix!

+ remember, tomorrow is Summer Friday!  I have some cute photos from this week, can’t wait to see yours!

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

suzanne @ pretty swell July 26, 2012 at 10:56 am

So cool! I’ve never heard of it and now I want a fix. Like bad.

LOVE your outfits — especially the green top and the blue maxi dress. You’re right about that first top — just a weird cut.

You are adorable! Thanks for sharing this treasure with us!!

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Suzanne!! Definitely sign up for a fix!! I’m admitting that i’m SUPER boring – because it was the most fun + pretty I’d felt in a while!!! and Harlo was sleeping in the other room!! WIN WIN WIN!!!

PLEASE let me know if you get a fix!! I WANT TO SEEEEEEE!!!

mandie July 26, 2012 at 11:30 am

I like both dresses and the green top is killer! Girl, you made that cardi great!

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thank you, doll!!! I heart your face. :)

Micaela July 26, 2012 at 11:34 am

This is one of the best fixes (and the closest to my style) that I’ve seen While the first shirt is (in my opinion) just cray-cray, and the last skirt is a couple of inches too long, the others are great! The racer back maxi dress – I want it! I really like how long the green shirt is in the back – so funky. The pink dress is so pretty too.

Stitch Fix – are you reading this? Come to Canada!

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Yes!! That first shirt …. my comment to stitch fix was: it was wrong in all the right places!! or I’m just not sure how to rock it!!

haha – yeah. way off!!

Isn’t the maxi GREAT!?!?!?! And YES!! I will yell from the hill tops too!! EXPAND TO CANADA, EH!?!!

abby clark July 26, 2012 at 11:44 am

I LOVE the clothing…the dress is a no-brainer, I totally agree with your thoughts on the pink dress, love the green shirt…but-I think you should keep the last skirt!! I really liked it on you, very french! Love the idea here too, went over and signed up with your blog post:) do you mind messaging me and telling me the prices of those pieces? What fun!

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I will definitely message you :) and i just added in the post that part of the questionnaire involves how much you would pay for something/how much you typically pay.

They ARE more expensive than a clearance t shirt at Target :) but I’m happy with the prices!! [Coming from someone who NEVER buys full price!]

Britt July 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I love this idea! I’m too busy to actually go shopping and I’m on a budget, so my choices are usually driven by $$ rather than style. Yes, I’m usually a frump :P Could you message me your thoughts about pricing? I’d love to check this site out!

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Hey Britt!! I’m actually going to update my post to add that you can define prices! So you can say how much you’d normally pay/want to pay for coat, jewelry, pants, top, etc!!

i can definitely email with you prices!! They were *clearly* more than my tshirts I get on clearance at Target :) But they are also so much nicer, more beautiful fabrics – and more unique and help me feel a bit more confident!

Amanda July 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I love the long blue dress AND the pink dress. Both look great on you! What you did with the green top + yellow cardi + orange belt + grey skirt.. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

I love the idea of trying clothes on at home.. I am not a shopper. Normally when I go clothes shopping I end up leaving empty handed having an anxiety attack because I just don’t know what goes with what and nothing EVER looks good on me. Ugh! And the fact that we are on a very fixed income doesn’t help.

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hey Amanda!! I think working on a fixed income could really be GREAT with stitch fix!!! When you have, say $50 bucks saved up for clothing? Just put in the comments “i can only do products under $50!!” Then, you have someone else finding GREAT + unique clothing for YOU! that is within your budget!! WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!

Jeff B July 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

OK, the gay man in me is making me comment on this. :) Have to admit, I loved them all but the first top. Love the colors against your skin tone and hair color.

Also, tattoos are very addicting! I had my first one about a year ago, and during the process I thought to myself, never again! But now I cant wait to add a little more artwork completing my vision.

kacia July 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

JEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!! my day is now complete. I’m going to asking you about each fix to see what your yay/nays are!!!

And yes. Thankfully Andy fully supports my dream of becoming my alter ego: full sleeves. Yeah. I know. Crazy. But every time I see a blonde rocking tats like that …. I get a little envious.

PS: there is a lady walking down our street screaming on her phone. Someone was getting an earful. What’s new. Just thought you should know!

Monica July 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing about this, Kacia! I just signed up to get invited. How fun! I really like the long blue dress on you. And I really like your bedroom, by the way. :)

kacia July 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Monica!! It is seriously genius. I know I said that, but really, for us moms? It is!! I never take time to take care of me – and while no, I won’t go crazy and spend all sorts of money – but even Andy loved that I was enjoying looking nice again!!

Let me know how your fix is!!! text me pics! :)

Kate July 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Fabulous picks! The maxi and the green top are great-totally my style too. And I agreed with your other opinions! That was fun, I felt like I was shopping with you :) Thanks!

kacia July 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Kate!!! I was DIE to see what you would get fixed with! [you and Cori!!] y’all would look AMAZING in a paper bag, and I can just imagine how you would style what you get!!!!

Please! Be sure to show me if you get a fix!!

Joanna July 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

umm, I’m in love with that blue dress. It would look horrible on me, but I LOVE it on you.

Karen Elizabeth Hosmer July 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I dig the green shirt with long tail, and the coral dress, but neck line is similar in both. Love the blue dress.

kacia July 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Yes!! The pink dress was ALMOST there, but just not. quite. there…. y’know?

Karen – schedule a fix!!! it’s so much fun!! And i promise Brian will love watching you play dress up too!!

Kyndal Braly July 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm

This is so, so fun! I just might have to have you convince me to try it out…y’know, in a few months, when I’m not carrying around this little person inside me and my body is (fingers crossed) back to “normal”. (Whatever that is!)

Vanessa July 28, 2012 at 12:23 am

Okay, love this post, Kacia. Love.

What a great idea! So much fun.

And definitely agree with you about not really shopping, I mean real shopping, since Ingrid has been born. Too hard with a little toddler runnin around, so I love this idea.

The green top is a YES. Absolutely. Must. The blue dress is a definite keeper, too. Darling and will work for so many things.

I’d love to get an idea on prices. Mind sending me a little message with an idea?

I need me some stichfix in my life. Thanks for the great ideas, as always.

Samantha July 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ooo, I’ve enjoyed reading through Raechel’s “Fixes” so I’m super happy that you’ve got on board!
The blue dress looks lovely on you! I think that’s my favourite! But, saying that I also adored the green top when you paired it with the skirt and wedges (which were to die for by the way!) and I can totally see why that cardigan is your favourite. I want to go out and buy one right now! Even if I have to get on a plane first :P

Nadine S. July 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I LOVE the clothes. You look smokin’ :)
I’d keep the blue skirt, but that’s just me. Maybe get it hemmed a bit? That green top is gorgeous.

Danielle August 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I just posted about my first fix today!!

kennedy September 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Hi there! I stumbled on your blog and I am a fellow Stitch Fix lover – can I ask the brand and style name of the green top? I’m in LOVE. I’ve actually requested specific pieces before (a dress I loved on another blogger) and SF came through! I must have that top! You can e-mail me if you’d like! Thanks!

Melissa Lynn Benham April 28, 2013 at 10:18 am

I really liked the pink dress on you! But I get that it’s not your style. :) That green top is AMAZING! I wish Canadians could get Stitch Fix….