{lazy} overnight whole wheat Cheese bread

by kacia on 8 Nov ’12 · 32 comments

I love bread.

A lot.

I love fresh-out-of-the-oven-butter-melted-on-top-cannot-eat-enough bread.
[is your mouth watering yet?]

I also was blessed with a mama who made most of the bread we ate.
Yes, spoiled, I know.

And then?  Then she started grinding her own flour.  Not with a mortar and pestle.
But maybe still a little bit crazy.

It’s so crazy-awesome, that I decided to join the fun.

I hit up Craigslist to find one of these beauties listed on the cheap–
along with 100 pounds of wheat berries the seller threw in as well.
huzzah!

But well, that whole making and baking thing…

As much as I want to have fresh bread on my to-do list every week,
I get a little overwhelmed sometimes by the task.
…which happens to be enhanced by the toddler running around.

That was until I made…

{lazy} overnight whole wheat Cheese bread

5 minutes of prep the night before means that fresh-out-of-the-oven bread is on the menu for dinner the following evening.  You ready?

• 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • [1 cup shredded cheese - I used freshly shredded Dubliner Cheese from Trader Joe's]
  • other mixins: nuts, cranberries, raisins, flax seed

Grab a bowl and mix all the ingredients–except the cheese/mixins–together with a spatula.  It’ll be goopy and sticky–just go with it.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in a corner on your counter.

Forget about it.

Go to sleep.

Enjoy the next day: ignore the bread!

Let that bowl of stickiness sit at room temperature for at least 12 hours–or just count back from dinner 1.5 hours.  Turn your oven to 450°F and place a covered dish that can withstand the heat inside.  I used a ceramic Corningware dish, but you could use cast iron–as long as it doesn’t have a plastic knob and it has a cover.  When the oven gets hot, set the timer for 35 minutes.

While the oven is warming up  getting ridiculously hotwith your dish inside–dump 1/3 cup of flour on a flat service.  Pull out the dough from the bowl and shape into a ball-ish shape–folding the shredded cheese or other mix-ins.  It’ll still be sticky and goopy: that is okay.

Place the dough back into the bowl and let it sit until your timer goes off.

Go take a nap.

Remove the hot dish from the oven–carefully!–and plop the dough into the hot dish.
Plop is a good word to describe it–I think you’ll agree.

Also random: does anyone else call a casserole a “hotdish?
My husband makes fun of me every time I say it.  How rude.

Place the dish back in the oven for 30 minutes with the cover on, then remove the cover for 10 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly before removing bread from the dish: it’s hot!

Then slice.

And eat.
[And if you're nice, share.]

enjoy!

I’d love to hear what mixins you try!  And how it turns out — keep me posted!

UPDATE: I’ve had a few questions regarding which type of casserole dish to use!  I suggest cast iron or ceramic/stoneware.  {Just be sure to check their maximum temperature limits!}

A few cast iron favorites:
Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 3-1/2-Quart Round French Oven, Cherry
Staub 5.5 Quart Round Cocotte

A few ceramic favorites:
CorningWare French White 2-1/2-Quart Round Casserole Dish with Glass Cover
Rachael Ray Stoneware 2-3/4-Quart Covered Bubble and Brown Casserround Casserole, Red

-xoxo

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Kate November 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

Um. This both shows your crazy domestic skills and your true wisconsin colors.

I need this bread stat.

kacia November 8, 2012 at 9:01 am

Or my desire for comfort food + lazyness!! bahaha!!

ummmmm we seriously need to coordinate our Wisconsin/Chicago-area visits ASAP.

xoxo

Mare November 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

this looks awesome! Going to try it. Thanks!

kacia November 8, 2012 at 9:00 am

let me know if you have any questions!!

Amy {a faithful journey} November 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

Mmm…YUM!! Trying this today! :)

kacia November 8, 2012 at 8:59 am

You won’t be sorry!! let me know what you add to it!

Nicole November 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

Totally trying this soon!!! (As in…as soon as I can get the store and restock my whole wheat flour stash!). And I also say hotdish and get make fun of all the time…I still think it makes more sense than casserole!

Heather @ Heather's Dish November 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

oh Kacia.

this is so so very dangerous! i have a feeling bread will be in our house all the time now!

Barefoot Hippie Girl November 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

I make my own bread too, though I draw the line at grinding my own wheat. I love the yeasty smell of bread dough as it is rising. I love the feel on my hands as I knead it. And I love the taste. I make bread every week. Soon I will be making it at least twice a week. We are going through more and more bread. Bread baking is actually on my to-do for today. Yay!

amy s January 21, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I know we all draw our sanity lines right?! I am surely not about to criticize or anything negative like that. But… I promise that grinding your own wheat is not as complicated as it sounds. I’m so lazy when it comes to anything kitchen:) I use the dry container of the vitamix, and I get can grind 2 cups of grains in 1 minute with barely any clean-up afterward (no complicated parts/machinery to keep up with). Merry breadbaking, fresh ground wheat or no!

Jessica Thornton November 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm

First of all, I’m pretty sure bread (or any other carb) is my love language. So, this spoke to my heart. And my stomach.

Secondly, my husband would be so impressed. Gonna have to make it happen soon!

Thanks for your practicality. And for being adorable.
Love.

Gail Hosmer November 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

This sounds good. Do you think it would work in a kitchen that is either chilly, or hot when the wood stove is going? Love the pix of H on the side!

Joanna November 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I would never in a million years think I was capable of making my own bread, but I’m going to try this because it sounds like I could actually accomplish it without screwing up. How exciting!

kacia November 9, 2012 at 9:18 am

you totally can do it, Joanna!!! keep me posted on how it goes!!

Lillian @ Elle The Heiress November 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

When we discovered that our middle child is allergic to soy, I had to start making all of our own bread. I am not a good cook at all, but after the first try of making sandwich bread I was surprised at how incredibly easy it was. Like, seriously! Why don’t more people make their own bread? Why does it have this stigma of being so hard?

kacia November 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I know! I’ve often wondered that!! And i think it’s because it’s usually so time consuming!
And really? just so few people do it!! sadly!

Bekka November 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

This looks sooooo good!

kacia November 9, 2012 at 8:53 am

Let me know if you try it!!

Shannon November 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

oh my goodness. salivating.

making this tonight.

alicia November 21, 2012 at 8:20 am

I made it – I love it!! Can’t wait to try some different varieties! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!

Debra January 7, 2013 at 5:21 pm

This sounds so yummy, I want to start a loaf tonight to enjoy tomorrow!! I need to know if you use fast rise yeast? Thanks for sharing!

kacia January 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi Debra! I emailed you – did you get it?

Kimberly Villareal January 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

Head’s up: Your Facebook sidebar covers up the quantities of ingredients .

Erica January 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Gathering all the ingredients now to make this for tomorrow’s dinner. Mmmm! Thanks for the recipe!

amy s January 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm

This looks great. I’m wondering if you can let me know about how big your dish is that you cook it in? Maybe you could link to something similar, say on Amazon? I want to try this, but I get all nervous if I don’t know I’m using the right thing. Thanks!

kacia January 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Hey Amy!! I just added a few favorites! Hopefully this helps – let me know if you still have questions! oxo!

Georgia February 12, 2013 at 11:23 pm

SO GOOD!! I’ve made two loaves of this bread so far. I made one with freshly-grated pecorino romano cheese and it it fantastic. I just pulled another out of the oven; this one I made with sharp Tillamook cheddar, and it smells lovely. I can see this recipe easily becoming my go-to daily bread. Thank you!

Georgia February 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm

*it IS fantastic.

: )

kacia February 13, 2013 at 12:12 am

oh GOOD!!! That seriously makes my heart so happy, Georgia!! I did golden raisins and fresh nutmeg and cinnamon–great for breakfast or french toast!

Georgia March 5, 2013 at 7:17 pm

That sounds like a winning combo. I’ll try it. Just thought I’d follow up and tell you that this I keep a loaf of this bread on-hand pretty steadily now. Today I’m making it with toasted sesame, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and slivered almonds. I have friends who want to make it now too. Thank you again.

Vivi September 3, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Hey!
I will be trying this bread tomorrow. I have all the ingredients, only missing the pot. Does anybody know if I can cover the dish with aluminium foil? I am not going to the city anytime soon, so if any of you has any idea, let me know.

Vivi

kacia September 3, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Hi Vivi! I think you could! But I would try to put the tinfoil on all the way to the bottom of the pot– the important thing is to keep the heat in! And be CAREFUL putting the tinfoil on! that pot will be HOT after heating in the oven!!