new traditions

by kacia on 23 Nov ’12 · 7 comments

I’m still having a difficult time believing that Thanksgiving has already come and gone.  We are celebrating today with Andy’s family, so I get a bit of an extended holiday.

However, I rearranged our first floor living space a few weeks back, and while I was at it, I decided Christmas decor should start making it’s appearance.
So Thanksgiving: my apologies.  We sort of snubbed you this year, but I promise to make it up to you.

My rearranging the furniture though, I made a place for the Christmas tree.
I won, and we’re getting a real one this year. (woot! woot!)

I love traditions–I love the consistency that traditions provide.
Andy often–lovingly, of course–laughs at all my suggestions, but when it revolves something yummy and sweet?

He doesn’t object in the least bit.

And well this lovely gal?  When she posted this recipe my mouth started watering immediately.

So we decided that every Thanksgiving morning, we would have a late breakfast of.. .

Monkey Bread.

Harlow had no idea the goodness that was headed her way yesterday morning–the above photo is how excited she gets about toast.  Yes, toast.  So, you can imagine how happy she was after trying her first bite of Monkey Bread.

She was pretty happy.

[Photo Credit: Peas and Thank you]

I know it may sound silly, but thank you for reading and being part of our little, silly, crazy, messy, artsy, ugly, tearful, and joyful life that we share in this space.  I mean it.  I wish I could sit down for coffee with each of you or peek through your front door.   I know I would–and do–learn so much from you.

xoxo

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jacquelynn November 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

I love those kind of traditions! Growing up we always had a breakfast casserole Christmas morning, about half-way through opening presents. I was so young, but that memory stuck and makes me warm and fuzzy thinking about it. Maybe i’ll start a monkey bread tradition for our Christmases… hmmm…

xo

kacia November 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

I seriously just love traditions! i would have one for every day of the year..if that was allowed.

umm the monkey bread? was awesome!

mandie November 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm

oh my goodness! she has THE BEST EXCITED FACE EVER!

Have a lovely thanksgiving, friend. :)

Nadine S. November 23, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Well, toast is pretty delicious. One of my best friends and I went out for breakfast this morning and we were laughing about how it’s only when you’re out for breakfast that you would consider eating the 8 pieces of toast in front of you – like nobody would ever toast 8 slices for themselves. But cut ‘em in triangles and put them on a plate that you’re paying for and suddenly the game is over. :) Love you sister. I can’t wait for the someday Jesus lets us meet.

Sarah November 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

My family is jealous of your family’s tradition. Although we did have pancakes. :)

I will take you up on that cup of coffee any day of the week!

Heather @ Heather's Dish November 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Harlow’s face is the cutest thing ever – and Sarah’s recipe is a major win at our house too!

Emily RC November 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

I’m a lover of tradition as well… which I think is an important balance to my sometimes-conflicting addiction to travel. Traditions you can bring anywhere, and make that new space feel like home, even though they may be taking place in a Peruvian jungle or a convent in Italy. For instance :) And I’m definitely going to be trying that monkey bread.