my quilt dilemma // help!

by kacia on 15 Aug ’13 · 52 comments

Happy Friday!  Today I’m asking y’all to help a girl out.  If you follow me on instagram, you’ve probably quickly realized my love for designing and creating.  I stay awake at night thinking about what I could try, what hasn’t been done, or what I maybe want to reinvent in some way.

Lately?  I cannot stop quilting.  I can’t stop won’t stop.

In between quilting for new babies and friends, I’ve been working on a new blanket for my sweet Harlow London girl.  Sometimes I feel like I am becoming a shoemaker, so I’m working on making special projects for my own family — as well as others!

I’m rambling a bit, but here is the deal.  I am completely and totally indecisive about how I want to finish constructing her blanket!  This quilt isn’t too large, but a perfect blanket that will be hers.  Right now she is using the blanket my amazing mom made me.   I want that blanket to be one that each of our children can use, and a special one for each of them as well!  I love all of these scraps and colors we pulled together for Harlow’s blanket — she even helped me pick out a few of them!

I think in my gut, I might know already which design is my favorite, but I’m struggling to make the plunge and just do it!  I honestly hate when I can’t make up my mind, so it’s driving me crazy!  I even tried the trick my big sis, Bri, would use on me when I couldn’t decide between two dresses, two tops… two whatever!  She would hold out both of them and make me choose one.  She would then hand me that garment and say, “okay.  You made your choice!”  And then one of two things would happen!

• I would completely agree.  Yup! That is the one I knew in my gut that I wanted all along.

• I would know in my gut that it was really the other one I wanted — the thought of leaving without didn’t sit right.

Try it.  It works!

But for some odd reason–maybe because I have three options?  Perhaps because my little sis and I totally disagree about which one I should choose?  I’m not sure. — I cannot, cannot, make up my mind.

So here is the deal…

The quilt is a triangle quilt, {dun dun dunnnn Captain Obvious, I know.} but I want to switch up about 1/3 of the quilt.  Depending on the orientation, it would be the right third or the bottom third of the quilt.

The first option {above photo} is for the triangles to rotate for a small section — the rotated section almost creates it’s own larger triangle, if that makes sense. :/

The second option {above photo} is for the small section to still be rotated, but with an added stripe.  Perhaps you like this one, but hate the mint colored stripe?

What color stripe would you choose?

The third option {above photo} keeps the stripe, but rotates the triangle pattern 180°, so the patterns/solids switch places.

See what I mean about the larger triangle that section creates?  Each of the options are consistent in that regard!

Okay!  Time for you to let me know what you think.  1, 2, or 3?

And if your vote isn’t in the majority, please leave a comment to let me know what you think!  I’m honestly not sure which one I’m going to choose at this point — I’m kind of leaning towards one, but that has changed 4 times already today.

I know.  I told y’all I was being completely indecisive!!  help!

have you entered the Mason Bar Company giveaway yet!?

{ 52 comments… read them below or add one }

Ashley August 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Love quilting. These are so beautiful! My favorite is option 2.

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:14 am

Thanks, Ashley! I hope people don’t get upset with what I end up choosing!! eeks! Maybe I’ll need to make three! xo!

Moriah Sunde August 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Numba 1!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:15 am

only if you post a house tour. Or let me come visit. I’m dying to see your new place!!

Shelby August 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I like number 1 myself.

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:16 am

I like you, Shelby girl. :)

AngelaB August 15, 2013 at 11:04 pm

First glance, I really liked number 3, but the mint stripe feels to light for it to really show the major “break” In the pattern. If you did the stripe, maybe in the teal or dark orange/pink? However, with that said, when I scrolled down to the bottom and saw all the options again, I really like Number 1. Wondering if that stripe might make it feel off-centered or something? I don’t know, I’m rambling and maybe that doesn’t make sense? Whichever, you decide, Harlow is going to love it!!! I just started teaching myself to sew and can’t wait to make Ayla her first quilt!! These triangles are gorgeous!! Xoxo!!!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:17 am

I agree!! I think I’m struggling with the stripe partly because the color is wrong!! wrong wrong wrong! Email me if you ever have any sewing questions!!

Tammy Perlmutter August 15, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I like Number 1. The design seems more fluid without the stripe interrupting it. IMHO.

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:19 am

Thanks Tammy! I like your H.O. :) xo!

Erin @ Blue-Eyed Bride August 15, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I like number 1 a lot! :) But something about number 3 catches my eye, too, but I don’t think I love the mint stripe. This is so exciting! You are super talented!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

aw! Thanks, Erin!! I think all y’all are DEFINITELY right about the stripe color!

Gretchen August 15, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Totally #1!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:21 am

:) :) :)

Cori August 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Number one!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:21 am

Aaron August 15, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Definitely number 1…seems more simple & subtle…don’t overcomplicate it with that stripe!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:22 am

ah!! Thanks for commenting, Aaron!! I definitely value your artistic opinion! Hope you are well!

Carrie Hanson August 16, 2013 at 12:04 am

I read but never comment. I happen to be a quilter, so I just couldn’t keep my opinion to myself. I’m going against popular vote here and voting for #3, although I would do a sashing of a darker color to really set that apart….make it pop! My 2nd vote is for #1, but for me it seems too cluttered somehow…kind of disorganized but not in an organized way (if that makes any sense). I guess in a way it seems like you just kind of threw it on there because you ran out of ideas. If you’re married to idea 1, I would do a very thin stripe of a darker color to set that part aside (so it kind of looks like 2 but a MUCH smaller strip…maybe 1/2″ – 1″). Otherwise have you considered making the sideways triangles smaller so that the edges line up differently…perhaps 2 sideways triangles fitting into the bottom of 1 of the larger triangles. In this way there would be some rhyme or reason but the difference would also be obvious. Of course, that would require re-creating those strips and doing some awful math.

I made my very first quilt (hand quilted too) when my oldest was 8 years old. She is now graduated from college and heading out for a year of urban outreach in south philadelphia. Her tulip quilt will travel the country with her. No matter what you decide, your daughter will cherish this quilt you are making for her. The colors are beautiful and you are doing a fabulous job! Can’t wait to see what you decide and how it looks all finished up!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:23 am

Oh, I like you Carrie. Everything you wrote has cycled through my brain at some point – especially a SUPER thing stripe. — and darker! Not the mint. oh boy. I seriously might just make three quilts. hahaha

OH! And YES to smaller triangles that line up – maybe 2 bottoms lengths = 1 side of larger? I have it all sketched out…AFTER i cut the triangles. So….looks like I’m making another! I’ll post that pattern, so others don’t have to do all the math!

J. rae August 16, 2013 at 12:22 am

I love your fabric choices! I vote number 1!

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

thanks!! xoxo!

Amanda August 16, 2013 at 12:55 am

I’m with Carrie – I vote #3 with a darker stripe. Maybe the solid orange? It’s so super cute and I’m trying to be a good girl and not covet your wicked skillz. With a Z.

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

OOOOOOOH solid orange I think would be awesome – maybe I’ll lay that out and post a quick pic!! Pink felt way too… PINKKKK for me!

Nicole @ EverlyEmil August 16, 2013 at 1:49 am

I have to go with one. I like that they form a larger triangle and it just looks fun. I’m not liking the break of the stripe, but what do I know, I normally give up on quilts half way through for this same reason!! xo

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:25 am

:) it feels like SUCH a big commitment – like when I tell Andy “painting a wall the wrong color is like marrying the wrong guy” – hahahahhaa, I don’t really like painting, so doing it again would be TERRIBLE!

Loni August 16, 2013 at 2:44 am

#3 with a darker stripe. Maybe the orange or turquoise color for the stripe? Having the triangles point a different direction in the other options is odd to me, but maybe it is something I would have to see in person to truly appreciate the artistic perspective? Good luck.

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thanks, Loni!!! I’m going to play with some darker stripes!

Rebecca August 16, 2013 at 6:35 am

Looks like I’m the only one choosing this one, but NUMBER 2 – no question! Number 1 honestly looks like you made a mistake with the last third of the quilt. But I LOVE the variation of turning the triangles. So adding that stripe is a perfect way to set it apart. Number 3 isn’t obvious enough that you changed anything.

It’s beautiful!!!! Xoxox

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

:) :) :) do you think I should darken the stripe? Or do you like the mint!?

Alison August 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

#3, but with a bolder colored stripe.

kacia August 16, 2013 at 8:27 am

What color do you think? Orange and Turquoise seem to be the consensus!

jimmie lee August 16, 2013 at 8:31 am

looks like everyone is choosing but I would totally go with number 3 and I would choose the teal color for the stripe, Or maybe the orange, neither of those colors are right on the edge so they wouldn’t blend.
Ps, Can you teach me how to quilt for a small fee, like maybe coffee? My grandma used to quilt and seeing yours makes me want to learn how!

Megan B August 16, 2013 at 8:41 am

Number 2! Obviously that isn’t the popular choice, but it’s mine. And I would do the gray as the stripe.

Good luck!!!

Katherine Kelly August 16, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love your quilt design and think Harlow will love ANY one of them. I would choose three. I think it’s fun and I think the stripe could be any color but I like the one you have chosen. :)

Mashel August 16, 2013 at 9:08 am

I love #3 The stripe gives me a focal point to enjoy the rest of the quilt.

Kerri @ Simplicity Interrupted August 16, 2013 at 9:11 am

I love number 3, but I agree with AngelaB above – a brighter color would really make it pop! These quilts are amazing. I never got into sewing but have recently been thinking that I’d like to try my hand at it – is there a sewing machine you would recommend?

kacia August 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hey Kerri!! I actually will be doing a LOT more with sewing and teaching and tips!!! I have a list of beginner projects to start with and some tips and tricks for any sewing, but if you have specifics or questions – please email me!!! xoxo!

natalie & pure&simple August 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

YAY! I’m so glad that you are doing some teaching/beginner tips! I have some basic sewing skills & would love, love, love to start quilting but don’t even know where to begin! You’re inspiring & your quilts are beautiful, Kacia!

I vote for #3 with a brighter stripe!

Mary Kaye Fischer August 16, 2013 at 9:15 am

2 if harlow is an eclectic busy girl
3. If she is a quieter structures girl.
1. doesn’t showcase the switch enough…creates a confusing busyness.

The challenge with a poll is all three are valid good options, just distinctly strong personal preference options , completely influenced by our personalities and tastes for all things in life.

Becca August 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

I vote #3. I crave symmetry!

Heather August 16, 2013 at 9:22 am

You are so creative – they are all gorgeous! I’m going with #3 as my fave though!

Leah August 16, 2013 at 9:49 am

Number 2!

becca @ sewLOVED August 16, 2013 at 10:25 am

I’m a lover of #3, but agree the stripe needs to pop a bit more. I have the quilting itch… and this isn’t helping! ;-) I guess I should just jump in and see how it goes, right? I mean, seam rippers were made for a reason. Ha!

Rachael August 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I love that top photo of your funny face. Made me laugh. All genius ideas of course! You have such a way with fabric. My favorites are 1 and 3. One would be more subtle, 3 would be more eye catching….

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm

My option is #3!

Sidnie August 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I love option number 1!

Adding the stripe throws me off.

Danae August 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm

#2 with a narrower orange stripe. Love the bold contrasts in that.

Nancy August 16, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Definitely #1! The other ones are pretty too but for some reason the stripe kinda throws me off…maybe it’s just me though :) I’m sure whichever one you choose, Harlow will love!!!

Good luck!

Tyra August 16, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Kacia, I like your blog and loved it on

Amanda August 17, 2013 at 12:14 am

Cori H. August 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I’m loving #3 maybe with a turquoise stripe or another bold color?