Father’s Day coffee mug || perfect last minute kid craft!

by kacia on 13 Jun ’14 · 26 comments

Little bonus tutorial for y’all today, because Harlow and I had a fun crafting morning!

Okay. So Andy, Babu, and PopPop: stop reading.

The rest of you, if you’re a chronic “never have the cards in the mail or gift ideas prepared” person like me, then this little craft is perfect for you!

(And if you’re totally on top of things, but you want to add a little gift to his Father’s Day gift, this craft is for you too!)

1|| grab supplies: ceramic mugs, Painters Paint, and vinyl

2|| be sure to have your helper!

3|| design your text or design and cut from vinyl — I used my ScanNCut! You could cut letters from painters tape if you don’t have vinyl on hand.  OR! you could nab some alphabet or shape stickers from any craft store!

4|| remove the negative pieces from the vinyl cut

5|| using contact paper, transfer the vinyl to the mug (or carefully place the letters by hand!)

6|| start doodling!!

7|| let the colors dry between layers

8|| carefully remove the vinyl letters

9|| let dry for 24 hours and bake at 375 for 30 minutes

Now go enjoy your Friday!!

And Babu and PopPop …your Father’s Day cards and gifts might be a little late…. sorry!!

I was provided a ScanNCut machine to test and review.  All opinions are my own.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Amy June 13, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Cute idea! Do you think sharpies work just as well?

kacia June 13, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I’ve heard you can do sharpies! but i think you might need the oil based ones??? or something! I remember reading something about that…somewhere. EEKS! so don’t quote me!

Michelle June 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I love this! And yea @Amy I think sharpies might just rub off/wash off. It could be worth a try though.

kelly April 24, 2015 at 10:50 am

This is adorable. I have a home daycare and this looks perfect for my mother’s day gifts next month. I didn’t quite understand the markers. I see you don’t recommend sharpies, but what do I need to get? And can I use regular mugs from any store? I’m worried the mugs in the oven might not go so well : ) Thank you for the great idea!

kacia April 26, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I think so! Maybe google which types of ceramic is oven safe…but i’m pretty sure they ALL would be!!

amber May 6, 2015 at 8:51 pm

after you bake them do they then become dishwasher safe? and microwave safe?

kacia May 8, 2015 at 12:49 pm

My parents didn’t have luck in the dishwasher…but I did — so I recommend handwashing just to be safe!

amber May 6, 2015 at 9:03 pm

and if I painted my child’s hand and then put it on the mug and baked it would that work too?

kacia May 8, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Kathe May 15, 2015 at 2:26 am

I love this idea but I don’t see what you used to paint them.

kacia May 15, 2015 at 7:30 am

here you go! the link to the Painters Paint markers was in the list of materials, but here it is again: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KZH282/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001KZH282&linkCode=as2&tag=kacirobo-20

Kathe May 15, 2015 at 7:40 am

LOL, that’s what I get for reading this at 2:30 am I kept reading painters tape. I read it at least 3 times too. Thank you!!!

Doris May 28, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Can you use porcelain mugs instead of ceramic mugs?

Karla June 17, 2015 at 12:12 am

I tried something similar to this and you have to be careful when washing the mug. I we wrote a message on a cup for my fiancé for Christmas and now it is back to a plain white mug again. So when washing be careful, it will come off.