Two random facts for you today:
- I am beyond picky when it comes to clothing. Annoyingly picky.
- I love matching my little gingersnap Harlow. Love.
So when I picked up Harlow a denim jacket from H&M last year, I’ll be honest: I was a little envious.
Now let me back up a bit….
I have a vivid memory of a denim jacket I had in middle school. I felt like it was too short and too wide and didn’t fit me right. I was so self conscious —what middle schooler isn’t, really–because the fit was just so terrible. And sadly, that has kind of been my relationship with denim jackets since.
Yes. Relationship. I take this stuff seriously, ya’ll. And I haven’t owned a denim jacket since.
But then I saw how Harlow’s jacket fit her, and it gave me hope.
Goodness, after a sappy gush-fest to a sewing machine yesterday and talking about hope and a denim jacket today…. y’all are going to think I’ve lost it….
My friend posted about the dream of a jacket her sister found, and I immediately texted her asking if it was really that great. I warned her that I am a denim jacket snob…a skeptic of any denim jacket existing that is worth buying in this world.
So believe her, I didn’t — I thought the photo used in the listing made it look short and boxy, but I really had become set on finding myself a denim jacket that was well made, fit right and wasn’t a ton of money. So off to shop was I, determined to find a denim jacket that was perfect. Instead, I determined a few things:
- Having a long torso makes finding a well-fitting denim jacket more difficult.
- Having narrow shoulders makes finding a well-fitting denim jacket more difficult.
- When you go out on a hunt to find a very
specificperfect item….you rarely find it. Am I right? jeans shopping anyone?
Yup. I came up short. So I decided to wait until the jacket Kate recommended went on sale again, and I scooped it up.
It arrived…..and I am a changed woman. Believe her, I did.
Goodness sakes I am an embarrassment to myself. These pregnancy hormones (and perhaps all the fruit flies in my kitchen)… yikes! I am gushing about a denim jacket.
I’m so smitten with it. It fits well — shorter than I prefer most items to be, but slim enough to feel correct. The denim is thick and well made. I love that it’s classic, yet it has tiny details along the button closure to add just enough of something different to make it unique. And it comes in a worn denim like I have or a brighter blue denim — so now we can all go out and buy this beauty without fear, because you won’t really match everyone…just half. :) Just kidding.
But in all seriousness, here are a few things I learned while trying on denim jackets and scrutinizing them to pieces:
- Grab a few sizes — I liked almost every jacket I tried on in a size smaller than my typical go-to.
- Wear your favorite pair of denim if you think there is a chance you’d ever want to do the double-denim thing. :) (I love this denim wash with my dark Hudson maternity jeans!)
- Look for fun details! You know I love timeless, yet unique pieces of clothing.
- Grab a dress and a few items at the store to try on with your jacket — make sure you like it with a dress as much as with a pair of jeans or skinnies. I love the versatility of dressing a jacket like this up or down, but you need to feel confident in it, or you will still to one look. And that’s just boring.
And then when your daughter asks if she can match you for church, you can answer with a resounding, yes!
I rounded up a few jackets that you might want to check out!
And if you’re feeling a little splurgy…
And of course some toddler styles — since H&M isn’t carrying Harlow’s anymore! I really wish I would have snatched up one size up while they still did!
So there you have it — a gushfest to a sewing machine named Tina and my love for a denim jacket….all in one week, people. Are you a denim jacket wearer? or were you tainted by an ill-fitting jacket in middle school too? There is hope for you yet, I promise.
Happy Wednesday! Fun tutorial for you tomorrow — huzzah!